Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard is the northern terminal station on the BMT Astoria Line of the New York City Subway. Located above 31st Street between 23rd Avenue and Ditmars Boulevard in Astoria, Queens, it is the northern terminal of N train at all times, as well as by the W train on weekdays.
This elevated station opened on February 1, 1917, along with the opening of the rest of the Astoria Line, as an IRT line station, and the BRT (later BMT) also provided joint service. Dignitaries from the first ride included President of Alderman Frank Dowling, Public Service Commissioner Hodges, numerous other officials of the commission, President Shonts of the IRT, with a number of his assistants, and Queens Borough President Connolly. Members of the PSC pointed out the need of extending the line from the terminal to Ditmars Boulevard and Steinway Street. Regular passenger service started that afternoon. The station's name was originally Second Avenue, which was the name of Ditmars Boulevard at the station's opening.
In 1949, the joint service was discontinued, leaving the BMT to provide full-time service.
In 1981, the MTA listed the station among the 69 most deteriorated stations in the subway system. In February 2018, the MTA announced that the station would be renovated for 14 months beginning in April of that year, as part of a $22 million project. The station house, mezzanine, and stairs would be repaired. Some residents protested, arguing that the renovated station would lack elevators and that the as-of-yet ongoing full closures of the 30th Avenue and 36th Avenue stations in Astoria had negatively impacted the community.